What if you could do just one thing to boost your mood and energy, give you glowing skin and a slimmer body, and prevent chronic diseases? Well, there is … It’s exercise!
Exercise has many benefits that help us look and feel our best at any age.
The Benefits of Exercise
When it comes to health, it’s rare for doctors, researchers, and other health experts to reach consensus. Except when it comes to exercise. Experts agree that we need at least 150 minutes each week of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity. In addition, we should engage in strength training exercises, which can include weight lifting but may be as simple as incorporating weight-bearing aerobic activity into your exercise regimen, such as hiking, walking, and dancing.
Research proves that regular exercise:
- Helps weight/fat loss
- Elevates energy and endurance
- Supports healthy skin and collagen production
- Boosts mood and memory
- Improves sleep (if you don’t exercise close to bedtime)
- Enhances sex drive
- Balances cortisol (our stress hormone)
- Strengthens bones and muscles (which helps prevent pain, injuries, and certain diseases)
- Decreases risk for a number of chronic conditions such as heart disease, certain types of cancers, depression, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, and arthritis
- Increases longevity
All of these benefits become even more important as we age. While some exercise perks are protective and help improve our quality of life (endurance, performance, memory, etc.), other advantages help us age beautifully.
How Does Exercise Help Your Skin?
When it comes to your skin, exercise increases blood flow, which provides nourishment for skin cells. Good circulation floods your cells with nutrients and removes free radicals and toxins, helping you get that healthy glow.
Also, regular moderate exercise – around 30 minutes each day – keeps cortisol (a stress hormone) balanced. This is particularly important since elevated cortisol can worsen chronic skin conditions, such as acne and eczema, and increases the breakdown of collagen (which speeds wrinkles and sagging skin).
To enjoy the greatest benefits of exercise, it’s important to balance cardiovascular exercise, strength training, and stretching.
- Cardiovascular exercise elevates our heart rate to effectively improve circulation, burn calories, drop fat, and enhance cardiovascular function.
- Strength training strengthens our muscles to improve our body composition and our day-to-day physical function and stability.
- Stretching is important to keep us flexible and prevent injuries.
Balanced exercise offers all the benefits listed above and helps prevent many debilitating chronic diseases associated with aging, such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Choose exercises that fit your current state of health. If you do not currently have an exercise routine, schedule an appointment with your healthcare provider to determine the best workout for your unique needs. This is especially important if you are pregnant or have any injuries or chronic health conditions that may limit your exercise ability.
Are you concerned about the cost of implementing an exercise program? This site offers great budget-friendly exercise advice.
Whatever exercise you choose, find something that you enjoy and can easily fit into your day. Invest in your health, get moving, and enjoy the rewards: graceful aging and glowing skin.