Learning to take care of some of our beauty needs (like self facials) at home is a great way to improve our self-care.
Home facials and massages are a relaxing form of self-care, but facials, in particular, are an essential part of a healthy skin care routine. That’s why today I’m sharing this step-by-step guide on how to give yourself a luxurious DIY facial from home for a fresh, rejuvenated complexion.
So, get ready to get glowing with The Spa Dr. self facial!
To get started, set up a bowl of hot water infused with lavender for added relaxation. To experience the full benefit of this at-home self facial, make sure to take slow deep breaths throughout. Then:
- Dip a soft washcloth into the bowl of hot water and wring out excess water.
- Gently dab the wet washcloth against your face, neck, and décolleté (chest).
- Take a few extra moments to linger over each area while using the washcloths and apply even gentle pressure.
- Once your skin is damp and you are relaxed and ready to start the DIY facial, set the washcloth aside.
An essential first step of a self facial is to cleanse the skin. If you have makeup on, you might want to do a double cleanse to be sure to remove any makeup and dirt remnants to create a fresh, clean canvas for the skin care products to do their job. To cleanse:
- Apply a couple of extra pumps of the CLEAR – Gentle Cleanser to a damp face and chest in a thick layer. Be sure to treat this like a mask.
- Once evenly distributed, slowly work the product into the skin with your fingertips using circular motions. Spend some extra time massaging the cleanser into fine lines, wrinkles, clogged pores, or problem areas.
- Splash your face with a little warm water to activate the aloe, and then continue the circular motions.
- To remove the cleanser, use a konjac sponge, and work in circular motions.
- Rinse the sponge and repeat as needed until your skin is clean.
Exfoliation will slough off the top layer of skin cells and help bring fresh young skin cells to the surface to create a healthy, glowing complexion. Also, by removing dead skin cells, you will ensure you get the most out of your products’ excellent ingredients because they can penetrate and do their job. Start by mixing a small amount of a gentle exfoliant with 2 pumps of CLEAR – Gentle Cleanser in the palm of your hand. Then
- Apply the mix to your face, neck, and décolleté – moving in small circles to gently work the exfoliant into the skin. Be sure to focus on trouble spots such as hyperpigmentation, impactions, dry patches, and fine lines/wrinkles.
- To remove, use the konjac sponge to work in circular motions.
- Rinse the sponge and repeat until your skin is clean. If exfoliant particles remain, use a warm wet washcloth to remove the rest.
Purge your pores of impurities and fight the visible effects of pollution for a revitalized look. Masks are excellent for restoring and hydrating the skin while building a healthy skin barrier to protect the skin from the environment and maintain moisture. Some of the most common conditions a mask will treat include breakouts, dehydration, dullness, sensitivity, and sun damage. Start with a:
Sensitivity test: Place a dab of product on the inside of your elbow area to test for any allergic reaction before use. If all is well, apply a thin layer of Purifying Mud Mask
to your face, neck, and décolleté.
Use a gua sha stone (or knuckles) to massage your face along the jawline, cheekbones, forehead, and décolleté.
After 3-5 minutes, remove the mask with a cold, wet washcloth.
Eye and Lip Treatment
Applying a nutrient-rich serum to these delicate areas of the face is an excellent remedy to help hydrate, rejuvenate, and nourish sensitive skin. Apply:
- 1 pump of NOURISH – Antioxidant Serum to the back of your hand.
- Eyes – Use a small brush (or your fingertips) to apply the serum under your eyes and around your brow line’s orbital bone. Remember the temple area!
- Lips – Apply the serum around your lips in small circular motions.
- Use your ring fingers and thumbs to apply soft little pinches around the eyes and lips.
- Finish with small little tapping motions over the eyes and lips, using the tips of your fingers.
Using a serum all over is the best way to hydrate and nourish your skin in order to combat early aging, stress, environmental toxins, and inflammation. Delicately:
- Apply a couple of pumps of NOURISH – Antioxidant Serum to your face, neck, and décolleté.
- Use your fingers to pat and tap the serum into your skin gently.
- Stroke your skin in upward motions to fight gravity!
The overall goal of a moisturizer is hydration and protection. Mix a few pumps of RENEW – Enriched Moisturizer with a couple of drops of ENHANCE – Glow Boost in the palm of your hand and
- Work into your face, neck, and décolleté using slow upward sweeping movements with added pressure for as long as you’d like.
The massage is the most relaxing part of your self facial and is full of benefits for your skin. The massage encourages blood flow and cellular activity, which stimulates collagen production and aids lymphatic drainage. To optimize the massage, you’ll want to move in up-and-out motions. Think “up for collagen production” and “out for lymph node drainage.” To Start the massage:
- Add more serum or moisturizer if needed
- Use up-and-out sweeping motions
- Take your time
- Indulge in the moment
- Breath deeply
- Thank Yourself!